- You can sync a Wii Remote to a Wii or Wii U console by pressing the sync button on both the remote and the console.
- You’ll need to sync each Wii Remote separately before using them.
- If your Wii Remote won’t sync, make sure its batteries aren’t low, and try closing whatever game is currently open.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Before you start playing your Nintendo Wii or Wii U, you’ll need to sync your Wii Remote to the console. If you’ve paired headphones to your phone via
before, then you’re probably familiar with the general steps.
Here’s how to sync a Wii Remote with a Wii or Wii U, and what to do if they won’t connect.
How to sync your Wii Remote to a Wii
1. Turn on your Wii and open the SD card cover on the front of the console to find the SYNC button. It’s a dark red square.
2. Grab the Wii Remote you want to sync and remove the battery cover to find its SYNC button — a small red button below the batteries.
3. Press and release the SYNC button on the Wii Remote. The four lights on the front of the Wii Remote will blink.
4. While the lights on the Wii Remote are still blinking, press and release the SYNC button on the Wii console.
5. When the four lights on the Wii remote stop blinking and one light remains lit (indicating the player number, one to four), you’ve successfully synced the remote.
Repeat these steps for any additional Wii Remotes. You can pair up to four Wii Remotes with a console at once.
How to sync your Wii Remote to a Wii U
1. With your Wii U turned on, grab the Wii Remote you want to sync and remove its battery cover to find the small red SYNC button. If you have a Wii Remote with a hole in the battery cover that leads to the SYNC button, you can just use that.
2. Press and hold the SYNC button located on the front of the Wii U console for a few seconds until you see the sync menu appear on-screen.
3. Press the SYNC button on the Wii Remote. The four lights on the front of the Remote will start blinking, and once it pairs with the console, only one will remain lit. It’ll also appear on-screen in the 1 box.
Repeat these steps for any other controllers you want to pair. You can sync up to four Wii Remotes to a Wii U, but only one GamePad can be connected at any given time.
How to sync your Wii Remote with a PC
Your Wii Remotes and consoles connect using a Bluetooth connection. This means that your Wii Remotes can be connected to other devices — like computers.
If you want to connect your Wii Remote to your PC — to use it with the Dolphin emulator, for instance — here’s what you’ll do.
1. Open the Control Panel and select Add a device.
2. When your PC starts searching for devices to connect to, press the SYNC button on the back of your Wii Remote.
3. An option will appear in the list of devices labeled Nintendo RVL and a series of letters and numbers. Click this, and then click Next.
4. You’ll be asked for a passcode. Just click Next without entering one.
Your Wii Remote is now connected to your PC.